Saturday, April 25, 2009

Thunder Roads Bike Night Texas


Thunder Roads Bike Night Texas

Thursday night April 23rd I stopped in after work to see what was going on at the Thunder Roads Bike Night Texas first bike night in the D/FW area at Big Shots Café in Bedford. It is sponsored in part by Texas Harley-Davidson, which is located right next door. They are going to have these every fourth Thursday of the month. They had some bike only parking set up outside and I got there early enough to use it. Live music was by the Justin Ross Band, and although I had never heard of him before, he sounded great. I really enjoyed his rendition of Johnny Cash’s “Folsom Prison Blues”.

When I arrived another guy backed in right next to me riding a Honda VTX 1300 with Vance & Hines pipes. We both walked in together and he asked if I was waiting on anyone else, which I wasn’t, so we decided to share a table. Turns out he is a Lead out at the Arlington GM plant and had just got the news about them shutting down for 9 weeks that morning. He said about two weeks ago they had them working overtime and Saturdays! He was not in a good mood to say the least.

We both ordered a Bud Light draft and he ordered a Quesadilla and I ordered the Chicken Fried Steak. The drinks arrived first, cold and refreshing. Big Shots Café was starting to fill up by this time. The food came out right before the Justin Ross Band took the stage and started tuning his guitar. We chatted about our bikes and riding and then the food arrived.

Big Shots Café being your typical sports bar style restaurant I was not expecting gourmet cuisine, so I was quite shocked at the large size of the plate and the Chicken Fried Steak that was on it. It covered almost the whole plate only leaving a small part of the mashed potatoes sticking out and a spot for the small bowl of green beans. Both our eyes got big and my new friend said he hoped I was real hungry. I replied that I was and would give it my best attempt. We chowed down and the food was excellent. The steak was great. The mashed potatoes were awesome, and I’m not a huge fan. They made them with the skins on, added onions, garlic and butter. On top of that they left them lumpy so you could still tell you were eating real potatoes. The green beans tasted great as well. The whole meal tasted like it was home made. I devoured everything except about two bites of the steak.

We finished up our meals and drank a couple more beers while listening to Justin Ross rocking the stage. The place was getting full and about 85% of the people there had a Boozefighters logo or emblem on. It was still early but it was time for me to go, I still had to get up early and go to work the next morning. On the way out I saw a few vendors had set up selling motorcycle paraphernalia. As I rode off I promised myself I would be back. Hope to see you there.

Ride on,
Torch
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

0 comments:

Post a Comment