Monday, June 15, 2009

My 1935 ES2 Norton






This is the 1935 ES2 Norton that I had for several years. I bought it from Ron Farthing on January the 26th 1999. I still have the invoice, for 3000 GBP, which was a very decent sum in those days. The British registration was JD5714.

The ES2 can be recognized by the cradle frame, looking so much better on these late 1930s bikes than the open diamond as used by the M18s. It still has the exposed valve springs and the pushrod covers that run in parallel.

The bike served me well for many years. It was used on several camping trips, hauling me and my gear all the way from Utrecht to Groningen to Zeeland, Limburg and back again. I never encountered more severe problems than a lost nut or bolt. It wasn't that fast though, I have the feeling my current late 1920s M18s will give it a run for its money.

I sold the ES2 on the 25th of november 2005. I had just bought an Inter and the shed was too crowded to keep all of them. I did feel sorry for the bike when it was wheeled off to a trailer, destined for an undeserved restoration.

0 comments:

Post a Comment